Government guidelines for procurement buyers to consider when specifying boilers :
- Water temperature reset: Electric hot water boilers should have the capability for water temperature adjustment. This can be based on the outdoor air temperature, return water temperature, or when the heating load is reduced, the supply water is set to a lower temperature.
- Modulating burners: It is recommended that boilers have the capability to vary their heating output by modulating the energy input. Most of the time boilers operate at part load. To prevent excessive cycling and the losses that accompany them, specify a Reimers boiler that has modulating capability. A turndown ratio of 8:1 can be done for Reimers products. This is particularly important in consideration for fuel and power costs.
- Low mass: Because boilers cycle on and off and it takes time to bring a high-mass boiler up to operating temperature, using low-mass boilers will reduce energy consumption. In addition, some boilers can be brought online quickly, therefore avoiding the need to keep a boiler on hot standby. Reimers electric powered boiler has a fast recovery and good energy retention with insulated steel shells.
- Remote monitoring capability: Remote monitoring capability is useful to manage boiler operation.
- Precise air-fuel ratio control: Reimers boilers have no problem with air-fuel ratios at optimum levels at part-load operation as well as full-load operation. The heating elements are not restricted by air and fuel mixing, they offer resistance heat with no emission. This delivers optimum efficiency.
- Optimum start control: Reimers offers a timed start control to fire up a boiler so that it is just in time to heat up in the morning.
- Hybrid system: Reimers offers proportioned power control so a Hybrid design is not needed. Read on...Conventional boilers are more efficient under full-load conditions, while condensing boilers are more efficient under part-load conditions. A hybrid system combines conventional and condensing boilers with controls that operate each type when optimal. This approach can be used in retrofit applications where new condensing boilers are integrated into an existing modular system with conventional boilers.
- Other enhancements: Other options to increase efficiency of the heating system include reusing heat from blow down and return condensate for steam boilers, using electronic ignition devices, and increasing boiler and piping insulation. Reimers has these features available.